Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Treating STD's . . . A community Concern


I met your daughter’s boyfriend last night. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He says he wants to get into college on a football scholarship and plans on becoming an engineer. Nice kid. Good family. Bright future.

I felt bad I couldn’t do more for him, but you know how it is. With all the budget cuts lately, we really can’t afford to just give away medications in our sexually transmitted disease (STD) clinics. I’m sure he’ll come up with the funds somehow.

Seems funny now how things used to be. We used to get state and federal funds to treat kids like this. It had something to do with the old-fashioned concept that communicable diseases somehow impact the whole community. In fact, we were forbidden by the state legislature to charge for these services if the person couldn’t pay. How naïve we all were!

What a waste of money, trying to control things like syphilis, gonorrhea, tuberculosis, hepatitis and AIDS. Of course, we didn’t have things like HDTV plasma screen televisions to spend our tax rebates on in those days. I guess we could afford to be a bit more community minded back then.

But I wouldn’t worry too much if I were you. Like I said, your daughter’s boyfriend seems like a really nice kid. And I’m sure that “Just say, ‘No!’” lecture you gave her really sank in. It would be a real stretch to imagine she might be in that group of women (74%) who say they had sex before they turned 19. Besides, I’m sure he’ll come up with the money for the medications somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment